Followers

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

THE DR CM – ANWAR IBRAHIM OUT OF COURT SETTLEMENT

The Out of Court Settlement between Anwar Ibrahim and Chandra Muzaffar on the 7th of January 2014. 


Given some of the comments on social media it is important to put my decision to retract my allegation against Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim in perspective.

I withdrew my allegation about the ringing of bells  in a Hindu Temple in connection with the Kampung Rawa Dispute between some Hindus and Muslims in March 1998  in the Kuala Lumpur High Court this morning, the 7th of January 2014, as a reciprocal gesture since Anwar had withdrawn two other claims of defamation against me on the 14th of January 2013.

Initially, he had alleged that I had defamed him at a forum in Petaling Jaya on the 3rd of March 2008 on three counts.

1) I had opined that he would be an unmitigated disaster  as Prime Minister of Malaysia.

2) I had  accused him of deceiving  the people through his Machiavellian politics

3) I had alleged that he had said that temple bells would not ring in a Hindu temple in the Kampung Rawa Dispute if the temple authorities did not abide by his rulings on the settlement of the Dispute.


The third claim was actually an illustration I had employed to show that Anwar was inept in managing inter-religious ties.       

Anwar sued me on all three claims on the 6th of March 2008.

When Anwar dropped the first and second claims which were the substantive claims against me last year --- especially the first claim --- I had contemplated retracting my third allegation which is what I did in Court this morning. Anwar for his part had accepted the retraction without costs, damages or an apology.

At the end of the day, it was an amicable resolution to a legal wrangle that has gone on for almost six years.

Chandra Muzaffar

   


   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tto both of you, the claimant and defence, what the hell are you talking about; the damage is already done when both of you utter those accusations and it was recorded in the news and the rakyat have read it and the rakyat has formed an opinion of the issues. Now both of you retract and settled out of court, but can you retract the damages that you have done in the country.
Be a man and fight it out so that whoever loses bear the consequences and not the public. But it looks like neither one has the balls to slug in a court of law. Next time do not comment or say things in public but just go to the toilet and talk to your d...

Anonymous said...

Well said anonymous..Dr CM can say the first two points constitute his opinion which borders on slander but when he withdrew the 3rd point(which is a purported statement of fact) then it does raise question marks whether the maker of these statements is reckless? No point using words now to dress up this mess..there is no intellectual honesty in this whole episode! Full stop